• To add suitable growing media to the surface for the
proposed turf type.
• To effectively shape the land for the required use
and to provide run-off drainage.
• Some soils become contaminated by the construction
process and need to be corrected.
• Some soils have reduced pore space, draining slowly
and need to be corrected.
• Raising the playing surface from the surrounding land
is sometimes required.
• The type of existing topsoil. Will it support the
proposed turf and suit the intended sport or
• The depth of the existing topsoil. Will it support
the proposed turf and suit the intended sport or
• Quality of existing soil. Does it have the necessary
nutritional value to support the proposed turf?
• The type and depth of new topsoil required. What is
required to suit the intended usage of the
surface and how
• The compatibility of the existing soil with new topsoil
required. Will they blend adequately?
• Drainage pattern of existing soil. Does it drain adequately?
Does it fail to hold water appropriately
for healthy turf
• Is access to the site for Topsoiling available in
the warmer months? This allows for better results.